Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall rain & Happy Halloween!


Well, I guess I've been a bit slow on the draw keeping this up, eh? I'll have to post some more pics from the past few months on the photo link. This is the 3rd (or was it 4th) weekend of incredibly dreary weather! So far, today, the snow has held off, but the powers-that-be are forecasting 3-5 inches of snow tonight. Hoping to get the potatoes out of the garden and have a party with the remaining tomatoes...target and all.

Since my last, Dave's 4-Corners Restaurant is open and things have become more hectic than usual as a result. All in all, it's going well - food looks great - still promoting "local" food and sticking to a limited menu until we get more settled. Hunting season is right around the corner with Christmas parties imminent.

This summer, Zach (Jeff's son) was married to Melody - mom and dad came out to attend. Also, several friends from the 4-corners celebrated new lives together. Elizabeth is doing well, but still oh, so far away, in Washington. I'll ask her if it's OK to post some of her baby pics. Her son is really cute - just over a year nowadays.

Phenology: juncos are swarming the area, robins and thrushes are busily eating Black cherries from my hedge, regular customers include Hairy woodpecker, Pileated (Casa loves to chase him), and various songbirds. Lately, cluster flies have been horribly numerous and Myrtle warblers are clinging on the window sill trying to consume the many in-door flies. I'd like to invite them inside to finish the job! Tamarack are about all that have much color left, but they are glowing like candles in forests of light and dark mixed with black spruce. My little Oak is still holding on to a few deep maroon leaves, too.

Guess that's about it until I can upload some pictures. Happy Halloween - one of my favorite holidays!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Well, hello there. It's been a long while since you wrote. Glad you are still among the literate. Hope the snow holds off for a while longer - at least until you get the garden produce picked. I understand there was snow in Bath a week or so ago. Glad to hear the restaurant is up and running.

Take care.